Organic search ranking factors are a constant point of contention in SEO.
A lot of the confusion can be traced back to varying statements from the spokespeople for the search engines, as well as industry studies.
For quite some time now, we’ve heard that Google’s top three ranking signals are:
But just last year, Google’s Gary Illyes clarified this misconception and we found out that top ranking factors actually change depending on the query.
Changes happen every day in the world of search engine optimization and it can be challenging to keep up for even the most seasoned SEO professionals. More so to those who are still new to SEO.
Out of the many factors to consider, which one is really essential for ranking brand new content?
After all, links are a non-factor when new content is published – because they haven’t earned any links yet.
Without links, how can Google rank content? Why is it easier for new content to rank better on some sites than others?
Our Twitter community helped weigh in on this subject. Here’s what they had to say.
Based on Your Experience, Which Signal Do You Think Is Most Important to Google When Ranking Brand New Content?
Here are the results from this #SEJSurveySays poll question.
According to SEJ’s Twitter audience:
- Relevance is the most important signal to Google when ranking brand new content, per 48 percent of the respondents.
- 38 percent said that the authority of the site/brand is what matters most.
- 7 percent think that click-through rate is the most important, based on their experience.
- Another 7 percent responded that page/site speed is paramount when ranking brand new content.
28 Experts on the Top 2019 PPC Trends You Need to Know [Ebook]
Learn the top 2019 PPC trends you need to know according to 28 of the smartest industry practitioners. Get your free ebook now!
More Insights on SEO Ranking Factors:
Check out this list of articles from our SEJ contributors and uncover the truth behind SEO ranking factors:
- Real World Ranking Factors
- How Ranking Factors Studies Damage the SEO Industry
- 11 Things You Must Know About Google’s 200 Ranking Factors
Have Your Say
What do you think is the most important factor for ranking brand new content? Tag us on social media to let us know.
Be sure to have your say in the next survey – check out the #SEJSurveySays hashtag on Twitter for future polls and data.